Temporarily, the United States is exempting over 400 types of Chinese products from tariffs that were imposed by President Donald Trump’s administration last year.
That’s as per the 3 documents set to be published by the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative on Friday.
The exclusions include things such as plastic straws, printed circuit boards, dog leashes, and Christmas tree lights, for a total of 437 kinds of products. According to the documents, the exemptions stem from over 1,100 exclusion requests made by companies as well as other entities in the U.S.
For more than a year, the two largest economies of the world have been locked in an escalating trade disagreement, in which both sides have levied tariffs on the other’s products.
The documents mainly layout 3 sets of exclusions:
- One set based on the September 24, 2018, execution of tariffs on $200 billion worth of goods. This exemption will expire on August 7, 2020.
- The other set of exclusions is based on tariffs on $34 billion worth of products that took effect July 6, 2018. This exemption will also end this time next year.
- Another based on August 23, 2018, execution of tariffs on $16 billion worth of products. This exemption will expire 1 year from the publication of the notice, at this time subsequent year.
Other items the administration of Donald Trump is set to free from tariffs include:
- Dog harnesses and retractable dog leashes
- A kind of paper filter for single-cup coffee brewing systems
- Printed circuit assemblies for enhancing graphics performance of automatic data processing machines
- Parts of swimming pool vacuum cleaners
- Plastic drinking straws
- A certain kind of laminated wood flooring panel
- Steel wire barbecue grills
- Refrigerated and heated vending machines for dispensing live bait and fishing tackle
- Electronic scales for continuous weighing of quartz, powder, and resin on conveyors
- Pet water drinking fountains
- Garden, patio and tabletop wick-burning torches for outdoor use
- Miniature lighting sets for Christmas trees
- Aluminum radiators for motor vehicles
- Certain electric-powered skateboards and motorcycles
- Animal feeding machinery
- Indoor tabletop water fountains